Thursday, November 22, 2007

Turkey Day, Turkey Trot

So, today's the Kenosha Turkey Trot. Over the last two months I've been building up speed and trying to re-gain my distance in attempt to do well in this race. I really want to beat 58 minutes, maybe even push to beat 55 minutes.

Got up this morning to hear the wind blowing and seeing it snow. Not alot of accumulation, but big flakes....or "packets" of flakes as Bill called them. It was in the 20s, with a wind chill in the teens. The wind was from the northwest, therefore the first 3+ miles would be into the wind....yippee, my favorite.

Got going running with Bill and had a pretty good pace. There were a few places I struggled a bit, but was able to maintain a pretty good rate. At 5 miles I realized I was doing really good and I could have a good time. Then we turned west for the last .75 mile into the wind, and I got a side stitch. I was really disappointed and wanted to just keep going. Luckily it didn't get too bad and I was able to push through it.

Finished in an official time of 56:47! Woo hoo! I'm really excited as that is great for me, especially in the cold and windy conditions. Ran the first half of the race just slighly slower than the 2nd, by less than a minute, but still it's a negative split.

I'm really proud of myself and feel really good about this!

Now to meet up with the other Racine runners and head to the bar for the 2nd part of the race....bloody marys!

No comments: