Saturday, December 1, 2007

Southside Saturday

We're running the southside bike path today. Since Ken lives nearby, I wondered if he'd be back as he wasn't with the group last week. Well, I was right and he ran to the meeting point and we took off at the head of the pack together.

It was really cold this morning, about 17 degrees (9 degree windchill), but I dressed in layers and hoped I'd be ok. From beginning to end, I was actually pretty comfortable so I guess I did good with the clothing choices.

As usual, started out cruising right along. About 2 miles into it, Ken asked how fast we were going. About 8:30 pace! He then said he thought we were going a little fast......then why are we? I was keeping up with him!

Turned around at 2.75 as I knew this pace was a little harder and thought I'd start to tire out soon. Ken said goodbye at Chicory and I kept going to the end. Slowed a bit that last mile, but still tried to keep it at least a 9:30 pace.

Ran 5.50 miles exactly in 48:32 (8:49/mile pace overall).
Ran the first 3.1 miles in 26:36 (8:35/mile pace). Wow, that is fast!
Ran the last 2.4 miles in 21:55 (9:07/mile pace). Slower, but still pretty good.

Next week is the Arthritis Foundation's Jingle Bell Run 5K. Since I ran 26:36 for a 5K this week, I'll have to think about what goal I make for next week. The crowd will hamper the start a bit, but I may be able to break 27 minutes.

No comments: