Saturday, September 15, 2007

Saturday on the southside

Today's route came from thinking about the Culver's run, but knowing most people don't like the hills on the westerly portion (which is on the end of the route with the normal Culver's routine). Therefore this time we're starting at the south end, at Durand and West Blvd. Then people can run north to Time Warner (doing the hills in the middle of the route) or people can run south to KR or A and back (a nice flat route). I figure I'd decide in the morning which route I'd want to do.

As I was driving there, I realized how sunny it was and figured the Culver's route would be hilly in the middle, then sunny on part of the routine........not so much fun. Therefore as we all stood there deciding, I decided for the longer, but flatter north-south route on the bikepath. Ken was back joining us again and he and I ran together for the route. He runs just a bit faster than I'm comfortable doing, but it's a good thing as it pushes me. Plus we have great conversation so it makes it easier to be distracted as I'm pushing myself. He and I ran doing to the country club and back up. He lives west of Dr. Jones' school so he turned off at Chicory and I continued alone. As he branched off, he asked for the time of our run--41 minutes for 4.5 miles. Wow, that is a bit fast. I thought I'd ease up a bit (which I did), but then realized I should try to keep the pace as best as possible, so I tried to speed back up.

Ran all the way to Durand, then realized I should do just a bit more. Crossed Durand and ran to the funky corner (Taylor/West Blvd), with that last bit being a sprint with Chuck, who joined me as I passed him and Ralph about .3 miles south of Durand.

Finished with 5.65 miles in 52:31 (9:18/mile pace). That's great for me. I did 9:18 for just one mile yesterday and essentially kept that same pace for 5.65 miles today. Wow, that's the fastest run I've had running this long. That would be just over 58 minutes for a 10k!

No comments: