Friday, January 30, 2009

Last night I realized the my body was just tired from doing something every single day. Although I alternate what I'm doing, certain muscles get used every single time...like the quads, core, etc. Therefore no matter if it's running, cardio, strenth, Anna, or whatever, some muscles just aren't getting a break.

I should have gotten up this morning to exercise, but didn't. Then we were going to go out for drinks after work, so I know I wouldn't do anything then. Now what? I had taken my tennis shoes to work on Wed with a goal of going for a walk sometime throughout the day. It's been so slow, I thought I could fit it in. Well, both Wed and Thursday it was slower in the morning, but I thought I'd do the walks later and then naturally I got busier in the afternoon.

Well, since I hadn't exercised in the morning and wouldn't at night, and my body was just tired, I decided to modify my "20 minute" goal of exercise every day. My goal was originally to do something vigorous--running, high intensity cardio, strength, or Anna. Well, I'm tired....but I don't really want to break this goal as it's good for me to keep up with 20 minutes of at least something every day. So today I put my tennis shoes on and went for a walk at walk. It takes about 3-4 minutes to get to the gym, then I did 20 minutes at an incline in the treadmill--walking, then walked back to the office. With brief little breaks to change the TV channel and get a drink of water, I figure this is a good 25+ minutes of walking....at least it's something. I broke out in a bit of a sweat (luckily it was already 4pm so I didn't have ot be tood worried for the rest of the day at work) so it got my heartrate up.

I can't decide if I'll keep this "every day" thing going in February, or maybe I'll take one day off each week--a recovery day. But I know me, and if I allow myself a day off, I can easily slide into 2 days, to 3, then have all kinds of excuses. If I have a streak going, I'm less likely to break it. So maybe I'll just have to allow myself to have a "light day" of just walking for 20 minutes, or...once it gets nicer outside, maybe just my one mile run (therefore only about 9 minutes...but more vigorous than walking). Just something lighter to give my brain and body a break. We'll have to see what I decide.

No comments: