Saturday, February 9, 2008

Woke up this morning to knowing it snowed just a bit last night, and was still pretty cold and windy. When I drove to the Y last night, I noticed College and Wisconsin Avenue were still pretty messy. I really didn't want to slip and slide around while running with the group, so I told Bill I was going to the gym. We also have a dentist appointment later, so there wouldn't be much socializing time at coffee, so I knew I wouldn't miss much going to the gym (except maybe slipping, falling, and unsure footing).

Went to the All Saints gym as I figured it may not be too busy on a Saturday morning, and I could also watch TV while running (as I wanted to run longer than just a mile--it is Saturday after all). Got to the gym and it was kind of busy. All but one of the functioning treadmills was taken, and the one that was available was the one with a belt that needs rewaxing. As I increased the speed to begin my run, I noticed that the belt was warped a bit in the middle and it was really noisy. At about 1.5 miles, one woman got off one of the other treadmills, therefore I just got to 2 miles and got off that noisy one and went onto hers. Gave me a quick one minute reprieve to clean off my treadmill before starting on the other.

Got 4 miles in at a good 9 minute pace on the treadmills. Kept it at just over the 9 minutes for most of the run to make sure I could do the distance and would feel relaxed and not strained during the run. The more strained I feel while on a treadmill--the worse the distance feels as the boredom factor really goes up if I'm strained. These four miles went pretty smoothly. Just stretched and headed out so I could shower before the dentist.

Not too bad for not running outside with the group.

No comments: