Sunday, May 3, 2009

So I officially decided to do the 10k at Ft. Collins. I felt good in the morning and hoped for a good day. I've decided that I don't like doing races by myself. I feel so alone and all I focus on is the run. I can't seem to focus on the scenery, people, etc.....therefore the run feels really long. Although we were wearing chips, there was no starting mat so I don't know exactly where the starting line was. I started out OK, then had trouble getting my MP3 to turn on. Had to futz with that a bit, but got it going. When I got to about 3 or so, I was bored and struggling. I kept pushing as I was a bit behind my desired time. We turned onto a trail at 3 miles and were heading back. At about 5 miles I really was done, with lead legs and just wanting to slow down. I pushed, but know I lost some steam. As I approached the finish line, I wanted to kick it in to push it. I did a bit, but not as much as I hoped. I ended up finishing according to my watch at 55:21, and according to the clock at 56:25. I was hoping to break 56 minutes, maybe even 55 minutes, so I was disappointed. Oh well. It is basically the same as last year's Turkey Trot...which I ran after being injured for 4 months and only running one 6+ mile run in training. Therefore I didn't improve at all even though I've been running more. The ext 12-15 lbs probably aren't helping, but I'll need to focus on speed or something for the future.

No comments: