Saturday, June 7, 2008

Really wanted to get in one more long run this Saturday as the Lighthouse is in two weeks. Went at 6am to meet some of the early runners. It's in the 60s and really humid today, so it's going to be a new experience to run in these conditions afte rmonths of running in winter/spring conditions. Got started with Kim, Yemi, and a new guy Jim. Ran the first 3 miles with all three, but then hit the Hwy 38 hill was a struggle. Jim and I dropped back from the other two a bit, but kept a pretty good pace, not losing much more ground on the other two for the whole rest of the 5.8 miles or so. We kept a really good pace, sub 9-minute miles.

Met the group and got some water and G2--needed that as that heat and humidity were draining me. Took off with the group and decided I wanted to run to get myself to at least 8 miles, then I could walk a bit if I wanted to. I ran to just past 8, then walked a bit and noticed Bill walking not too far behind me. Turned around and met up with him. Hit the lap button on my watch so I could see the pace for this last few miles. We walked/ran the last 2+ miles back to the cars.

The first 6.2 miles were 56:15 (the first 5.8 were with Jim, then the brief break at the car), so that was a great sub-9 pace. The next 1.84 was in 17:04 (a 9:16/mile pace). Therefore the first 8 miles were in 1:13:19. If I could do this, plus 10 minute miles for the final 2 miles on Lighthouse day, I'd be at just over 1:33 which I'd be happy with. For the final 2.2 with Bill today we walked quite a bit and ran probably half or less than half of it, therefore it took 27:45 (12:35/mile pace). Today ended up being 10.24 miles in 1:40:05 total. Good to get one more long run in as I'll probably just do 6-8 in next week to ease up a bit before the race.

No comments: